I have been eyeing up this jumpsuit for ages, it’s an incredibly popular pattern which has been all over Instagram for quite some time now, and I finally got around to making it a couple of weeks ago.
I wanted something special to wear to The Sewing Weekender recently, and decided that this could be the time to make my first jumpsuit. New Look 6446 is a great pattern with several options. I made view C which is the version photographed on the pattern cover, there is a shorter leg length version included in this pattern, as well as the option to make a knee or maxi length dress. It has a square neckline with shoulder straps and a belt.
I absolutely love the fabric choice shown in the picture on the pattern cover, and decided to choose something similar to make up my toile. I didn’t want something too expensive, but was hoping that it might be wearable, so opted for some Ikea Lenda fabric, which was only £5 per metre. I only needed 2 metres for this project. The fabric is a lovely teal colour, but perhaps not the best quality, I’ve only washed it a couple of times since I made it and suspect it might be prone to some bobbling in the not too distant future, but it certainly is wearable in the meantime, and I am very happy with how it turned out.
My measurements put me at a size 14, so this was my starting point. I enjoyed the construction process, particularly how the bodice is lined. I used a pretty blue floral cotton for my bodice lining. This was a leftover piece that I had in my stash, and whilst it’s difficult finding room sometimes to store all these leftover bits and pieces ( I sometimes think my leftover stash is bigger than my main fabric stash)! eventually you find a use for them.
The fit was spot on for me, apart from a small gape on the bodice underneath my arms. Something that a dart might fix, but as I only discovered this fit issue after I had sewn it up (including the bodice – doh!) I decided that the quickest way to fix this was to unpick the bodice and bodice lining and pinch in approximately 1.5cm from the top edge of each side seam and sew/grade this down to the waist seam.
The shoulder straps were way too long for me, and I found that I had to trim 10cm from the length of these. It took me a long time to decide what leg length I wanted and after a great deal of deliberation and lots of research into images of this pattern on the internet, I removed 10cm from the leg length too, which left me with a 1″ seam allowance for the hem. Just right.
The jumpsuit is fastened/unfastened with an invisible zip at the centre back, and it’s nice and easy to reach without help which is always a bonus. I love the little pleats at the front of the trouser legs, (it has darts at the back), the belt tie is the perfect length and looks really cute. Oh, and it has pockets!
As soon as I put this jumpsuit on, I loved it. It was definitely the outfit that I wanted to wear on day 1 of the Sewing Weekender and in fact I decided to quickly cut out another to take with me as the project that I wanted to sew that weekend too. For this version I used this beautiful stretch cotton twill which I really love, but if I’m honest it has a little too much stretch in it and the finished result doesn’t fit me as well as my first make. You live and learn!
Again I lined the bodice with a cute floral leftover fabric, and finished it off with one of the wonderful gifts that we were lucky enough to have received in our goody bag at the weekender, which was this super cute clothing label kindly given to us all by Sew Me Sunshine.
I cannot recommend this pattern highly enough, and think it looks really cute as it is, but hope I can get some wear out of it in the cooler months with the addition of a cardigan over the top or a t-shirt underneath.
Take care, and I’ll be back soon,