New Year, New Look – quite literally! Ha!
I have watched others make and wear this style pattern over the last couple of years but have never really thought that it would suit me, but I am shocked to say that I absolutely love it!
The pattern description for New Look N6661 is as follows…. ‘Misses’ Jumpsuits. Scoop-neckline, front bodice fastening and elasticated waist with front tie. With or without short sleeves. Cropped or full-length leg’.
I feel that the style of this is more of what I would call a ‘boiler suit’ – although now that I think about it I’m not sure what I would consider the difference is between a jumpsuit and a boiler suit! I guess a boiler suit is usually less fitted and normally has a lower, more relaxed waistline? As mentioned this is the first time that I have made a boiler suit (although I have made a few jumpsuits), and I was keen to see how this would look on me.
AD – This pattern was gifted to me by Minerva so that I might take part in their friendly challenge this month which is a competition with the chance to win prizes by sharing your New Look pattern makes using the hashtag #SewnWithNewLook. If you have a New Look pattern that you have sewn and would like to share on the Minerva site to be in with a chance of winning some great prizes then please click here to see all the details. Don’t delay though – this competition ends at the end of January!
I chose to make view B which has the cropped legs and short sleeves.
My measurements (35-29-39) put me in between a size 12 and 14 on the bust, and between a 14 and a 16 on the waist and hips. Looking at the finished garment measurements I saw that there was a generous amount of ease in this pattern and as is sometimes the case with the large pattern companies, they can sew up on the large size, I decided to keep my fingers crossed, cut a straight size 12 for my first try, and see how it went.
I would usually toile a garment to check the fit and really recommend that you try to do the same – especially with a 1-piece like this, but on this occasion I just didn’t have any fabric to do that with so I was taking a bit of a chance. Although the finished waist size isn’t shown on the pattern envelope remember that you need this to be big enough to be able to slip it over your hips as you step into and out of this garment, so don’t be tempted to size down too much if you think you need to.
The fabric that I used is this brown cotton ramie blend which I purchased myself a few months ago. I have used this fabric before to make this pinafore Simplicity 8641, but in the grey (now sold out) colour way. It’s a lovely soft fabric once washed with the look of a linen fabric, but fairly lightweight and a little translucent when held against the light.
This isn’t a quick pattern to make – it has 12 pattern pieces – but it was really enjoyable to sew. There are lots of beautiful details on this garment and I have really enjoyed dipping into it over the last few days, sewing 1 or 2 hours at a time and gradually seeing it come together. Sometimes life can be too busy for us to remember to relax and enjoy our sewing time – I’m definitely guilty of this – but somehow for this project I cherished the relaxation that this project gave me.
The bodice is loose fitting, there are no bust or waist darts. The sleeves are the perfect short length for me, and I couldn’t wait to attach the casing pieces to the bodice and trousers so that I could try it on and see what it looked like. The casing has belt loops front and back, and whilst these aren’t functioning (as the tie belt is threaded through the inside of the casing), I really appreciated these small details.
A small amount of twill tape is needed for the belt tie, and as I didn’t have any in my stash that was the correct colour, I folded some brown ready made bias tape and sewed it together and used this instead. It happened to be the perfect colour match!
This pattern is certainly not lacking in the pocket department. Two patch pockets on the back trousers are the most perfect size, and I am more than a little pleased with their perfect positioning (in my opinion), and the angle at which they sit. Pockets can also be found at the front of the trousers – and these are a pocket and a yoke all-in-one – you know, the sort of shaped pocket that isn’t hidden in the outside seam of the trousers.
I love top stitching and this can be found in several places on this garment. Pocket edges, the casings and belt loops to name but some, small details like these really make such a difference to the finished garment.
The trousers came together well, and the rise was just right for me. It’s very comfortable to wear – sitting, standing and moving around. Although I cut out the cropped version, I still had to cut quite a bit off the leg length for it to be where I wanted it to be. I would expect that to be the case though at 5’2″. The leg width is fairly wide, and whilst I like this style I did narrow mine a little bit to keep in with my proportions.
How could I resist not popping a pretty garment label into the back neckline. This gorgeous ‘I Made This’ label is from Little Rosy Cheeks. This is a double sided label and has ‘I can do anything’ on the other side! So cute. Also you might notice that the neckline is finished with bias tape rather than a facing. I actually prefer a facing piece for the neckline (less fiddly), and didn’t have enough fabric left over to make my own, but had this satin black tape in my stash and that did the job great.
I am so pleased with how the boiler suit turned out. I actually didn’t know what to expect when I decided to make this pattern, but am now totally on board with this look and already have some fabric in my stash which I have earmarked for my next version.
Hope that you like it as much as I do.
Take care and I’ll be back soon,
Kathy (@sew_dainty) x